district is surrounded by
in the south,
in the west,
in the north and
in the east and includes plain areas of Pantnagar, Kaladhungi and Haldwani.
Rest of the area contains beautiful hills and crystal clear lakes and
pleasant climate that is why termed as 'Westmorland of India' by the British. Kathgodam (35 KM) is last railway station and Vayudoot
services are available from Pantnagar (70 KM). Haldwani, Kathodam, Bhowali,
Ramarh, Bhimtal are
major towns of Nainital Districts. It is also called the district of lakes
as several lakes are situated in the district.
Nanital has been described
as 'Tri-Rishi-Sarovar' in 'Manas Khand' of Shkanda Purana' where three
Pulastya and Pulaha
meditated. As there was no water they dig a hole and filled it with
mansaovar water. Legend is that Lord Shiva while carrying the dead body of Sati (after she scarified herself in the fire of Yagna of her
father) her Eyes (Naina) fell here and thus named Nanital after Goddess
Naini and Tal (Lake). At the place where her eyes fell is located the temple of 'Naina Devi' and considered one of
the 'Shakti Peeth'. The town is situated on both sides of lake
called Talli (lower) Tal and Malli
(upper) Tal and is
headquarters of Kumaon Division.
Attracted by is surroundings, Mr Barren owner
of Rosa Distillery of Rampur bought land from
one Nar Singh, the priest of Naina Devi temple in 1841. It became
the summer headquarters of British UP & Awadh
province in 1860. The palatial Governor House was built
in 1900 which was designed by Mr F W Stephens who also designed the famous Victoria Terminus and Churchgate railway stations in Mumbai. Now it is the seat of Uttaranchal High Court. In 1880 torrential rains led to massive land slide in which 150 people lost their lives and several buildings were burried under it.
In 1922, the town was electrified. Nainital is also known for it’s oldest
public schools dating back to 1855 of Finlander Smith,
Oak Openings, Saint Merry,
Saint Joseph and Sherwood fame. In 1955, Observatory was
shifted to Nainital from Varanasi. It is also called Mini England. Kumaon University is also located here.